Sunday, July 27, 2008

Review #2: Jesus Among Other gods by Ravi Zacharias

This is the first book of Ravi Zacharias that I have read so far. I bought this book about a year ago and I read parts but never got around to finishing it. I have watched several videos of Mr. Zacharias preaching and lecturing. He’s one of my favorite people to listen to. He has a story and an answer for almost anything. He’s pretty easy to listen to. And the same goes for reading his book.

Pros:

1. As I stated earlier he’s very easy to read. Some parts may have lost me, but through most of the book he was pretty easy to understand. His writing reminded me so much of C.S. Lewis. It was almost as if I was reading a brand new book from Lewis. (Although, I think he used Scripture more than Lewis.)

2. I love his mixture of theology and apologetics. I think it’s very important for an apologist to remember what Ravi says, “apologetics is the seasoning. The gospel is the main course.” I love how he answers questions that skeptics have today by going to the Bible.

3. I think it’s great how bold he is in the book. I’m very pleased to see he didn’t back down. He plainly tells the truth. And that’s what he calls it - TRUTH! I think it’s also brilliant how he expounds upon the uniqueness of what Jesus said compared to Buddha, Mohammed and others.

Cons:

1. Not much mention of the gospel. I would have liked Mr. Ravi to write a chapter all about the gospel. That would make it a very good book I would want to give to the lost. I would probably still give a few copies to people I know. But it would make it even better if it had a chapter all on the gospel.

2. This book is almost 200 pages long. I would have liked Ravi to make a larger book. There’s a lot more he could have mentioned. But that’s for other books I suppose.

3. I would have liked to see more theology.


Conclusion:

I would rank this as an apologetic classic, along with “Mere Christianity” by C.S. Lewis. (Although I would note that Lewis had a lot of bad theology. But I believe he still wrote some good books. In this instance I learn to chew the meat, and spit out the bones.) If I were to make a theology/apologetics 101 list, and I could only put ten books in there, this would be on that list. It was a delight to read. And maybe someday I will read it again.

No comments: